Pleasant Grove School is a small rural K-8 school, the only school in the Pleasant Grove Joint Union School District.
Pleasant Grove, located about twenty miles north of Sacramento and five miles east of Highway 99 has always been an agricultural and ranching area, with most production in rice and livestock. Many local ranches that were developed before 1900 are still operated today by descendants of the pioneer settlers.
The first school in Pleasant Grove was built in 1864, called the Auburn District School. After this building was destroyed by fire in 1874, a new two-story building was built across the road from the old site. School was held on the lower floor and the Grange and other lodges met in the hall above.
Auburn School was consolidated with Eagle and Cottonwood schools in 1920 to form the Pleasant Grove Joint Union School District. At the time, there were four teachers and 109 students. Today enrollment at Pleasant Grove School is about 170, with eight teachers.
In 1972 the oldest section of the school was replaced by a new building, and the remaining rooms were renovated. Since 2001 Pleasant Grove School has undergone significant improvements, including the construction of a flood protection wall, sewer improvements, a new well, complete classroom and cafeteria modernization, and the new construction and modernization of the administration/student services building.